Saturday, July 24, 2010

Proposed Action Research

After listening to this week’s videos, I changed my original topic from last week. I took Dr. Jenkin’s advice that our research should be reasonable, something that we could accomplish, possibly something related to our jobs and in which we have a passion. Since my topic last week would require me to change a basic procedure of the Texas Education Agency, I thought I better go for something a little closer to home.
The purpose of my action research is to investigate teaching strategies used in secondary schools to close the math achievement gap between minority (specifically African American and low socio economic) and white students. I have seen many studies that talk about the fact that the gap exists and I agree that it exists in my school. I’m looking for specific educational methods that may have been used in other schools to help close that gap.
The significance of my action research is primarily for the advancement of the students. After learning new teaching strategies, the students will benefit with higher math grades, greater confidence in their math skills, and therefore being able to enroll in higher level math classes. Higher level math classes could lead to more career opportunities than they may have otherwise had. The school and teachers will benefit from higher standardized test scores and possibly a higher school rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment